This is an excellent side dish to serve with pork chops and beans. It has a wonderful old-fashioned flavor and is a refreshing change from plain potatoes and other vegetables.
Recommended: 23 Recipes That Use Up Leftover Hard-Boiled Eggs
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/4 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 5 to 6 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1/2 cup diced fully cooked ham
- 1/2 medium head cabbage, shredded (about 4 cups)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute onion, red and green pepper and garlic in butter until tender. Add hash browns; cook over high heat for 2-3 minutes. Stir in ham, cabbage, salt and pepper. Simmer for 8-10 minutes. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Cabbage and Potato Side Dish in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook 1994, p58