VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting
- Red, green and blue gel food coloring
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the lemon peel and extract. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Shape dough into a 5-1/2-in. x 2-1/2-in. x 2-in. rectangle. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 4 hours or until firm.
- Unwrap dough and cut into 1/4-in. slices; cut each slice lengthwise into thirds. Cut one end of each rectangle to form a point. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Place 1/4 cup frosting in a small bowl; tint red. Repeat with green and blue food coloring. With the remaining white frosting, frost center of each cookie.
- Cut the corner off a pastry or plastic bag; insert round tip #2. Fill bag with red frosting. On a third of the cookies, pipe red lines around edge of white frosting. Pipe "Red" in the middle. Frost pointed end of cookie. Repeat with green and blue frosting and remaining cookies. Yield: about 3-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as C Is For Crayon Cookies in Country Woman September/October 2002, p19