Buttery Walnut Toffee
I've been making this tasty toffee for more than 15 years, and everyone raves about it. Folks often think I bought it at a gourmet candy store!
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + cooling
Makesabout 1-1/2 pounds
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 cup butter, softened, divided
- 1 cup whole unblanched almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips, melted
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Line an 11x7-in. pan with foil and grease the foil with 1 tablespoon butter. Arrange almonds evenly in pan; set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, salt and remaining butter. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until mixture is caramel-colored and a candy thermometer reads 300° (hard-crack stage). Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Immediately pour over almonds. Cool completely.
- Spread melted chocolate over toffee; sprinkle with walnuts. Let stand until set. Break into pieces. Store in an airtight container.