Buttery Walnut Toffee
I've been making this tasty toffee for more than 15 years, and everyone raves about it. Folks often think I bought it at a gourmet candy store!
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + cooling
Makesabout 1-1/2 pounds
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 cup butter, softened, divided
- 1 cup whole unblanched almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips, melted
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Line an 11x7-in. pan with foil and grease the foil with 1 tablespoon butter. Arrange almonds evenly in pan; set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, salt and remaining butter. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until mixture is caramel-colored and a candy thermometer reads 300° (hard-crack stage). Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Immediately pour over almonds. Cool completely.
- Spread melted chocolate over toffee; sprinkle with walnuts. Let stand until set. Break into pieces. Store in an airtight container.
Editor's NoteWe recommend that you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212°. Adjust your recipe temperature up or down based on your test.
Nutrition Facts2 ounce-weight: 381 calories, 29g fat (13g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 228mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Buttery Toffee Candy in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2006
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.