Buttery Rhubarb Baklava
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 20 sheets phyllo dough (14 inches x 9 inches)
- 3 cups finely chopped walnuts
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 cups honey
- 1. Brush a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan with some of the butter. Unroll phyllo dough; trim to fit into pan. In a large bowl, combine the walnuts, rhubarb, sugar and cinnamon.
- 2. Layer five sheets of phyllo dough in prepared pan, brushing each with butter. (Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.) Sprinkle with a third of the nut mixture. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining phyllo dough, brushing each sheet with butter.
- 3. Using a sharp knife, cut baklava into 1-1/2-in. diamond shapes. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. In a small saucepan, heat honey over low heat until thinned. Pour over warm baklava. Cool completely on a wire rack. Cover and let stand for several hours or overnight.
1 piece: 229 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 74mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Jun 15, 2011
I am with chef_rachie. This is so fantastic!!! Don't change a thing, just make it according to directions. I do have a few little ideas though...what about peaches, apples, etc. I will have to try it some time but this recipe is really hard to beat!!!
Mar 30, 2011
I would make it over and over and over again. This is fantastic coming right out of the oven. Gooey and fantastic