Buttery Poppy-Seed Bread
This cake-like bread from Carol Bradley of Sun City West, Arizona is quick, easy and very moist. "If you can find butter brickle or butter pecan cake mix, use it in place of the regular cake mix and eliminate the nuts," she suggests.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1 package butter recipe golden cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in coconut and pecans. Pour into two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans.
- Bake at 350° for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
Nutrition FactsNutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 98 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 125 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
Originally published as Buttery Poppy-Seed Bread in Quick Cooking March/April 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.