Buttery Onion Soup Recipe
- 2 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups (6 to 8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Croutons, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook onions in butter over low heat until tender and transparent, about 20 minutes.
- 2. Stir in flour. Gradually add broth and milk; cook and stir over medium heat until bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute longer; reduce heat to low. Add mozzarella cheese and stir constantly until melted (do not boil). Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with croutons if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup: 294 calories, 23g fat (14g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 600mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 11g protein.
Reviews for Buttery Onion Soup
"I seldom submit reviews, but this was great! I may have put in a few more onions and used part half and half with the milk. I got a small container of croutons from a local steak roadhouse (as I really like theirs). It is a real winner!"
"I used only 1/4 cup butter to limit calories and fat. It tasted great! Next time I might try popstardiva's variations."
"This soup is tasty but it was a little bland. I added chopped celery to the onions and 1 tsp of dill along with salt and pepper and it was delicious"