- 2 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Croutons, optional
- In a large saucepan, cook onions in butter over low heat until tender and transparent, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in flour. Gradually add broth and milk; cook and stir over medium heat until bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute longer; reduce heat to low. Add mozzarella cheese and stir constantly until melted (do not boil). Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with croutons if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forButtery Onion Soup
"Mozzarella did not appeal to me in this soup. Thinking about the substitution of beef for chicken broth, I used Swiss cheese and beef broth. I also added a beay leaf as the onions simmered. I removed it before stirring in the cheese. I also tried it with chicken broth, but I used jack cheese and added a healthy pinch of nutmeg with the cheese. Both versions were delicious."
"I seldom submit reviews, but this was great! I may have put in a few more onions and used part half and half with the milk. I got a small container of croutons from a local steak roadhouse (as I really like theirs). It is a real winner!"
"I used only 1/4 cup butter to limit calories and fat. It tasted great! Next time I might try popstardiva's variations."
"This soup is tasty but it was a little bland. I added chopped celery to the onions and 1 tsp of dill along with salt and pepper and it was delicious"