Buttery Oatmeal Breadsticks
I grew up on a South Dakota farm and watched my mother bake all the bread for our family of 10. The aroma of freshly baked bread often welcomed us home and is a memory I'll always treasure.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- Melted butter
- In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a saucepan, heat water and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients. Beat on high for 3 minutes. Add 1/2 cup flour; beat 2 minutes longer. Stir in oats and enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Let rest for 10 minutes. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 24 pieces. Shape each into a 10-in. rope that is 1/2 in. thick. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with melted butter.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 81 calories, 1g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 59mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.