Buttery Lemon Turkey
A simple seasoned butter with a dash of hot sauce and a splash of lemon provides all the flavor you could want in a holiday turkey. Even novice cooks will find the recipe easy.—Sharon Tipton, Winter Garden, Florida
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 2-1/2 hours + standing
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 turkey (10 to 12 pounds)
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a small bowl, whisk the first eight ingredients until blended; reserve 1/4 cup mixture for brushing turkey after roasting.
- Place turkey on a rack in a shallow roasting pan, breast side up. Tuck wings under turkey; tie drumsticks together. Roast, uncovered, 2 hours, basting occasionally with remaining butter mixture.
- Roast 30-60 minutes longer or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°. Baste occasionally with pan drippings.
- Remove turkey from oven. Warm reserved butter mixture to melt butter; brush over turkey. Tent with foil. Let stand 20 minutes before carving.
Originally published as BARBECUED TURKEY in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2014