Buttery Lemon Turkey
A simple seasoned butter with a dash of hot sauce and a splash of lemon provides all the flavor you could want in a holiday turkey. Even novice cooks will find the recipe easy.—Sharon Tipton, Winter Garden, Florida
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 2-1/2 hours + standing
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 turkey (10 to 12 pounds)
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a small bowl, whisk the first eight ingredients until blended; reserve 1/4 cup mixture for brushing turkey after roasting.
- Place turkey on a rack in a shallow roasting pan, breast side up. Tuck wings under turkey; tie drumsticks together. Roast, uncovered, 2 hours, basting occasionally with remaining butter mixture.
- Roast 30-60 minutes longer or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°. Baste occasionally with pan drippings.
- Remove turkey from oven. Warm reserved butter mixture to melt butter; brush over turkey. Tent with foil. Let stand 20 minutes before carving.
Originally published as BARBECUED TURKEY in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.