Buttery Herb Loaves
A succulent herb butter is the secret to this bread's irresistible richness. These lovely loaves disappear quickly.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- HERB BUTTER:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Melted butter
- Sesame or poppy seeds
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, eggs, shortening, sugar, salt and 1 cup flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each portion to 1/16-in. thickness; cut out ten 5-in. circles from each. Combine the butter, garlic, basil, onion, caraway seeds, oregano and cayenne; spread over dough. Fold circles in half; set half aside.
- For each loaf, start with one folded circle on a greased baking sheet with folded edge toward the right. Working from right to left, add another piece with folded edge on right side, overlapping three-fourths of the previous piece. Repeat.
- Form a second rectangular loaf from the reserved folded circles. Brush with butter; sprinkle with sesame seeds. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 198 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 413mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.