Buttery Corn Muffins
I love these corn muffins for their light texture and sweet, buttery taste. They're great served hot from the oven with butter and honey for breakfast, and I've even baked them in mini muffin pans and served them for tea.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min
- 2/3 cup self-rising flour
- 1/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon butter flavoring
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal and sugar. In a small bowl, combine the egg, milk, oil, vanilla and butter flavoring. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Fill greased muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 400° for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
Editor’s Note: As a substitute for self-rising flour, place 1 teaspoon baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a measuring cup. Add all-purpose flour to measure 2/3 cup.
Nutrition Facts1 muffin: 154 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 182mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Light and Sweet Corn Muffins in Reminisce April/May 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.