I love these corn muffins for their light texture and sweet, buttery taste. They're great served hot from the oven with butter and honey for breakfast, and I've even baked them in mini muffin pans and served them for tea.
Recommended: 75 Delicious Ways to Eat Corn on (and off) the Cob
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2/3 cup self-rising flour
- 1/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon butter flavoring
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal and sugar. In a small bowl, combine the egg, milk, oil, vanilla and butter flavoring. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Fill greased muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 400° for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Buttery Corn Muffins in Reminisce April/May 2011, p58