My mother made this recipe often when I was growing up. She got it from a friend who was a chef at a local restaurant my parents frequented. The onions really bring out the sweetness of the carrots. When I have carrots fresh from the garden, I don't even peel them, just scrub them well before cutting. For holiday buffets, I often double or triple this recipe —Mary Ellen Chambers, Lakewood, Ohio
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
Makes12 servings. (3/4 cup each)
- 3 pounds medium carrots, halved crosswise and cut into strips
- 2 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Coarsely ground pepper, optional
- Place 2 in. of water in a 6-qt. stockpot. Add carrots and onions; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until carrots are crisp-tender, 10-12 minutes.
- Drain vegetables. Toss with remaining ingredients.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 123 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 240mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as White Oak Carrots in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.