I created this recipe when I had company coming for Christmas and I was fresh out of chocolate chips. The cookies were such a hit with family that they became a treasured holiday tradition. I've been making the recipe for over 40 years now. —Jeanne Walker, Oxnard, California
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1 package (10 to 11 ounces) butterscotch chips
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Stir in walnuts and butterscotch chips.
- Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake 12-14 minutes or until light brown. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 5 dozen.
Originally published as Butterscotch Walnut Drops in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2016, p69