Butterscotch Rice Pudding
Total TimePrep: 1-1/4 hours Bake: 20 min.
- 3 cups milk, divided
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large heavy saucepan, bring 2 cups milk to a gentle boil. Stir in rice and salt. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, heat 1/2 cup brown sugar, butter and remaining milk until simmering. Remove from the heat. In a small bowl, beat egg yolks. Add a small amount of hot milk mixture to yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Stir into rice mixture; cook and stir over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Pour into a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish; set aside.
- In a small bowl, with clean beaters, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining brown sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Spread over rice mixture, sealing edges. Bake at 300° for 20-25 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 221 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 73mg cholesterol, 246mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 0 fiber), 5g protein.
Feb 23, 2013
how much food is in one serving?
Feb 22, 2013
We liked this pudding - not too sweet with a lovely texture. I used light brown sugar; might dry dark brown sugar next time.
Feb 21, 2011
YUM! I love the thickness and ease of this recipe, it's really not difficult. I've made it a couple times and will use it again.
Nov 7, 2008
I have made this one a couple of times & my grandmother has just loved it!!!! I think it takes her back to her days on the farm.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.