- 3 cups milk, divided
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In top of double boiler, heat 2 cups milk to a gentle boil. Stir in rice and salt. cover and cook over medium-low heat 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. remove from the heat; set aside. In a saucepan, heat 1/2 cup brown sugar, butter and remaining milk until simmering. In a small bowl, beat egg yolks. Add small amount of hot milk mixture to yolks; return to pan. Stir until smooth. Stir into rice mixture; cook and stir over medium heat 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Pour into a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form; gradually add remaining brown sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Spread over rice mixture, sealing edges. Bake at 300° for 20-25 minutes. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forButterscotch Rice Pudding
"how much food is in one serving?"
"We liked this pudding - not too sweet with a lovely texture. I used light brown sugar; might dry dark brown sugar next time."
"YUM! I love the thickness and ease of this recipe, it's really not difficult. I've made it a couple times and will use it again."
"I have made this one a couple of times & my grandmother has just loved it!!!! I think it takes her back to her days on the farm."