- 3 cups milk, divided
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large heavy saucepan, bring 2 cups milk to a gentle boil. Stir in rice and salt. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, heat 1/2 cup brown sugar, butter and remaining milk until simmering. Remove from the heat. In a small bowl, beat egg yolks. Add a small amount of hot milk mixture to yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Stir into rice mixture; cook and stir over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Pour into a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish; set aside.
- In a small bowl, with clean beaters, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining brown sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Spread over rice mixture, sealing edges. Bake at 300° for 20-25 minutes. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forButterscotch Rice Pudding
"how much food is in one serving?"
"We liked this pudding - not too sweet with a lovely texture. I used light brown sugar; might dry dark brown sugar next time."
"YUM! I love the thickness and ease of this recipe, it's really not difficult. I've made it a couple times and will use it again."
"I have made this one a couple of times & my grandmother has just loved it!!!! I think it takes her back to her days on the farm."