Butterscotch Meringue Bars
These fast and easy cookies are unlike any others I've eaten. They're irresistibly rich and always draw "oohs", "aahs" and requests for the recipe after the very first bite!
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 3 egg white
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- In a bowl, cream shortening and sugars. Beat in egg yolks, water and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with butterscotch chips and pat lightly.
- For meringue, in a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gradually add brown sugar, beating well. Spread over chips. Sprinkle with walnuts and gently press into meringue. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack. Cut into bars. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 184 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 39mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Butterscotch Meringue Bars in Country Woman Christmas 2003