VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 teaspoon plus 1/2 cup butter, softened, divided
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- Line a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. pan with foil. Grease the foil with 1 teaspoon butter; set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup, water, vinegar and remaining butter. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Cover and cook for 3 minutes to dissolve any sugar crystals.
- Uncover; cook, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 300° (hard-crack stage). Remove from the heat. Pour into prepared pan without scraping the saucepan; do not spread mixture.
- Cool for 1-2 minutes or until candy is almost set. Using a sharp knife, score into 1/2-in. squares; cool completely. Break squares apart. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 1 pound.
Originally published as Butterscotch Hard Candy in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2007, p83