Ordinary rice cereal treats get special treatment with the addition of butterscotch flavors.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + chilling
- 1 package (10 ounces) miniature marshmallows
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons instant butterscotch pudding mix
- 6 cups crisp rice cereal
- 1/2 cup butterscotch chips
- 1/2 cup vanilla or white chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- In a large saucepan, combine marshmallows and butter. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until melted. Remove from the heat; stir in pudding mix until blended. Stir in cereal. Press into a greased 15x10x1-in. pan. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Using a 3-in. bone-shaped cookie cutter, cut out shapes. In a shallow microwave-safe dish, heat the butterscotch and vanilla chips with shortening at 50% power until melted; stir until smooth.
- Dip bottoms of bones into melted butterscotch mixture; place on foil. Place some mixture in a heavy-duty resealable plastic bag if desired; cut a small hole in a corner of bag and pipe designs over bones. Let stand until set. Gently remove from foil.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 114 calories, 4g fat (3g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 98mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Butterscotch Bones in Taste of Home Halloween Food & Fun 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.