- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 3 cups packed brown sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and brown sugar. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour, baking soda and cream of tartar; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Stir in almonds. In small mixing bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into dough. Shape into four 9-in. rolls; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight. Unwrap and cut into 1/8- to 1/4-in. slices. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 12 dozen.
Reviews forButterscotch Bonanza Cookies
"Dough extremely crumbly and hard to work with, but a tasty cookie and the recipe makes a LOT!"