VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 package (10 ounces) butterscotch chips
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour, oats and baking soda; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Stir in chips and pecans. Reserve 2 cups. Spread remaining dough into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan.
- In a small bowl, combine filling ingredients; beat until smooth. Spread evenly over crust. Crumble reserved dough over filling.
- Bake at 375° for 40-42 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: about 1-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Butterscotch Bars in Taste of Home Annual Recipes Annual 2000, p134