Butter and brown sugar combine to create this yummy sauce that's terrific served warm over cake or ice cream. "This is a family favorite," says Carol Haugen of Fargo, North Dakota. "And it keeps well in a tightly covered jar in the fridge."
Recommended: 30 Desserts Ready in 30 Minutes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup corn syrup
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- One portion chocolate cake (7-1/2-inch x 5-inch rectangle) from the Delicate Chocolate Cake, cut into four pieces
- 2 medium firm bananas, sliced
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the first five ingredients. Cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until mixture thickens slightly and a thermometer reads 180°, about 20 minutes.
- Place cake on serving plates; cover with bananas. Top with warm butterscotch sauce. Sauce may be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, heat in the microwave until simmering; whisk before serving. Yield: 4 servings (about 1 cup sauce).
Originally published as Butterscotch Banana Dessert in Quick Cooking September/October 1998, p43
Reviews forButterscotch Banana Dessert
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 28, 2010
"I loved the sauce but the cake wasn't the best...rather flat and not very tasty I didn't think. But that sauce was VERY good"