- 1 medium butternut squash (about 2-1/2 pounds)
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups seasoned salad croutons
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cut squash in half; discard seeds. Place cut side down in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan; add 1/2 in. of hot water. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 minutes.
- Drain water from pan; turn squash cut side up. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until tender. Scoop out pulp; mash and set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the croutons, salt, poultry seasoning and pepper. Cook 2-3 minutes longer or until croutons are toasted. Stir in the squash, turkey and broth; heat through.
- Transfer to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until edges are bubbly and cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forButternut Turkey Bake
"wow that was so tasty. i went on net with squash and turkey...found this site and this recipe,didn't have a clue what poultry seasoning was..do now! thank you so much for this great site. from a friend across the ocean in 'rainy England'! love it so did my 24 and 25 year old sons xx"
"We were surprised at how good this was! I had searched ingredients in the Taste of Home website Advanced Search that I had on hand and this is the best recipe that came up."
"Made it for our residents at an assisted living communty and they loved it, thanks for the recipe"
"Squash is a little sweet but other than that this is a good casserole on a cold winter night."
"My husband love this and so did I. Only thing did different from recipe was used 3 cups of turkey."
"The texture of this dish did not sit well with my stomach, even though it tasted fine."