For a wonderful fall side dish for any meal. The squash has so much flavor with the brown sugar and allspice.—Salem Cross Inn, , West Brookfield, Massachusetts
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 6 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- Place squash in a large saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- In a large bowl, mash the squash with butter, brown sugar, salt, allspice and pepper until blended.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 177 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 445mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 5g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Butternut Squash in Worldwide Country Tours Country Miler Early Spring 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.