- 1 medium butternut squash (about 3 pounds), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup uncooked whole grain brown and red rice blend
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable broth
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- In a 4-qt. slow cooker, combine the first eight ingredients. Stir in broth.
- Cook, covered, on low 4-5 hours or until grains are tender. Stir in spinach before serving. Yield: 12 servings (3/4 cup each).
Reviews forButternut Squash with Whole Grains
"I found it needed more spice for my families tastes. However, I enjoyed the use of the rice medley I used--made it more "nutty" flavor."
"Tried this using just brown rice and it came out very bland. Also, when mixing the ingredients, some of the rice sits on the cubed squash never reaching the liquid. This left a lot of hard pieces of rice throughout the dish. It looks so pretty. Was hoping it would have come out better."