- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (about 12 cups)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 2 medium leeks (white portion only) or 1/2 large sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup roasted sweet red peppers, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a large bowl, toss squash with 2 tablespoons oil, salt and pepper; divide between two ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pans. Roast 35-45 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally and switching position of pans halfway.
- In a skillet, heat remaining oil over medium heat. Add ginger, garlic and, if desired, pepper flakes; cook and stir 1 minute. Add leeks; cook and stir 3-4 minutes longer or until tender. Stir in maple syrup; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 2-3 minutes or until syrup is slightly reduced.
- Place squash in a large bowl. Add red peppers and leek mixture; toss to combine. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews forButternut Squash with Maple Syrup