Butternut Squash Supreme
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 3 pounds butternut squash, peeled, cubed
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup crushed butter-flavored crackers (about 12 crackers)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Place squash in a saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until very tender. drain well and place in a large bowl; mash. In another bowl, combine the eggs, cheese, onion, milk, salt and pepper; add to the mashed squash and mix well.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with cracker crumbs. Dot with butter. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 209 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 79mg cholesterol, 489mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fiber), 7g protein.
Sep 1, 2015
I prepared this dish for the first time and instead of using 3 lbs. of butternut squash, I used a 12-oz. package of cooked frozen butternut squash, cooked in my microwave per microwave instructions. I used 1/4 to 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (grated), 1/2 large onion, chopped, 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. pepper, 3/4 cup milk, 2 beaten eggs, 1/4 cup Italian bread crumbs, 2 Tbsp. MARGARINE. I cooked the squash, then stirred the other ingredients into the cooked squash except the bread crumbs and the margarine. I used a 1-quart to 1-1/2 qt. casserole dish, greased. I then sprinkled top with bread crumbs and dotted with the margarine and baked 45 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Since I cook for myself now, I use a smaller-sized baking dish! Thank you for sharing this recipe! delowenstein
Nov 11, 2013
Excellent! So easy, and the flavor is perfect.
Oct 31, 2012
This is my familys favorite butternut squash recipe. Tonight will be the 3rd time I have made it and this will be the second Thanksgiving
Feb 3, 2011
Bland, would not make this again. Maybe 2 cups of chedder and some spices might make this interesting, but as is, it was dry and bland.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.