Butternut Squash & Potato Mash
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 20 min.
Makes10 servings (3/4 cup each)
- 8 cups cubed peeled butternut squash (about 4 pounds)
- 4 cups cubed peeled potatoes (about 4 medium)
- 16 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Place squash, potatoes and garlic in a Dutch oven; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, 10-15 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a dry small skillet, toast sesame seeds and cumin over medium-low heat 3-4 minutes or until aromatic, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
- Drain squash mixture. Mash vegetables, adding cheese, butter, salt and pepper. Sprinkle with sesame seed mixture.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 190 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 448mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Oct 26, 2016
I'm always looking for a way to sneak in more vegetables, and this squash/potato combo was perfect. It made an easy side for dinner.Note: Used garlic powder instead of garlic cloves and still tasted fine.
Nov 3, 2014
I used turnips instead of potatoes. Omitted the sesame seeds. Great flavor !