- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 3 cups mashed cooked butternut squash
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Whipped cream, optional
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with pastry; trim and flute edges. Cut out scraps with a leaf-shaped cookie cutter for garnish if desired; place on a baking sheet and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon. Beat in the squash, butter, eggs, water and vanilla until smooth. Pour into crust.
- Cover edges loosely with foil. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Remove foil. Bake 35-40 minutes longer or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Bake leaf cutouts for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool pie and cutouts on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate pie until chilled. Garnish with pastry leaves and whipped cream if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forButternut Squash Pie
"Hi,Made this for the first time....family members were dying for squash pie and no one makes it anymore...(Sad to say the recipes died with the older generation). Lots of compliments but still too sweet...made with fresh squash (pureed)and I cut back on sugar (made with 1 cup).....looking for advice on how to make less sweet....any ideas are helpful:)Thank you"
"I made this with a gluten free crust for a gathering of friends. We all LOVED it. I cut back a little on the sugar (used 1 cup) and added about a teaspoon pumpkin pie spice. Oh, and I pureed the squash in the food processor. I had more than enough filling for one 9" pie, but not enough for 2. I should have made a tart with the leftovers, but didn't, due to time constraints. Squash pie is scrumptious!"
"This had a fantastic taste and custard texture. Instead of the 1 Tablespoon cinnamon, I did 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon each of nutmeg and ginger, and 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves. I will definitely make this again!! :-D"
"This is a GREAT pie! No one could even guess that it was butternut squash. I too added a little pumpkin spice. The taste and texture was wonderful. Take note that the recipe FILLS a normal pie plate. As a previous reviewer did, next time I may divide into two 8 in pies. Highly recommend this recipe."
"I forgot to rate this, sorry"