Butternut Squash Gratin
Squash finds its way into many of my recipes, but my favorite is butternut because I love the richness and sweetness it adds to a dish. After sharing it with my sisters, they now all make this side for all their Thanksgiving dinners. —Cheryl Lundquist, Wake Forest, North Carolina
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 1 large butternut squash (about 5 pounds), peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 4 shallots, chopped
- 2-1/2 cups shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup spreadable pineapple cream cheese
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup crushed seasoned salad croutons
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, layer half the squash, all the shallots and 1 cup cheese. Top with remaining squash and 1 cup cheese.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese, cream, salt and pepper until smooth; pour over top. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; top with croutons. Bake, covered, 30 minutes. Bake, uncovered, 30-40 minutes longer or until top is golden brown and squash is tender.