Butternut Squash Dressing
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen cooked winter squash, thawed
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 can (8 ounces) water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 package (6 ounces) cornbread stuffing mix, divided
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Remove from the heat; stir in the squash, soup, water chestnuts and sour cream. Stir in 1-1/2 cups stuffing mix.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining stuffing mix; drizzle with butter. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through and top is golden brown. This dressing is best served as a side dish, rather than stuffed into poultry.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 358 calories, 19g fat (8g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 979mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber), 7g protein.
Oct 8, 2015
I wanted to try this recipe as I had a couple of packages of frozen cooked butternut squash on hand! I also had cream of chicken soup and water chestnuts-also 5.3-oz. cartons of unflavored plain yogurt available. I did purchase the cornbread stuffing mix! I decided not to saut? the onion, but just added it to the squash, which I'd cooked per instructions in my microwave oven, and I added a 5.3-oz. carton of plain unflavored yogurt, 3/4 tsp. salt,1/4 tsp. pepper, the cream of chicken soup, drained and chopped water chestnuts, 1-1/2 cups of the corn bread stuffing. I melted 3 Tbsp. margarine since I had that available and transferred squash mixture to a 12x6-1/2" greased loaf pan (sprayed with PAM cooking spray). I topped squash mixture with remaining stuffing mix and drizzled with the melted margarine. I baked dressing for 35 minutes at 350o F. on a foil-lined 15x10x1" baking pan. I'm looking forward to tasting this dressing! Thank you for sharing with Taste of Home! delowenstein