- 1 pound ground beef or turkey
- 3/4 cup chopped red onion
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-3/4 to 2 cups water
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (14-1/2 to 15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3 cups peeled butternut squash, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- Chopped avocado, plain Greek yogurt and shredded mozzarella cheese, optional
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook beef and onion, crumbling meat, until beef is no longer pink and onion is tender, 6-8 minutes.
- Add next five ingredients; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in water, both types of beans, diced tomatoes and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Stir in squash; simmer, covered, until squash is tender, 20-25 minutes. Stir in vinegar.
- If desired, serve with chopped avocado, Greek yogurt and shredded mozzarella cheese. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts)
Reviews forButternut Squash Chili
"Thiss got rave reviews fom my family!"
"This is presently cooking in the slow cooker . I can already tell that this is going to be a winner. Steaming the squash in my IP made this a breeze to throw together. I did add salsa to kick up the flavor."