- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup mashed cooked butternut squash
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- Confectioners' sugar
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Additional confectioners' sugar, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line bottom of a 15x10x1-in. pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs on high speed 3 minutes. Gradually add 1 cup sugar, beating until thick and lemon colored, about 2 minutes. Stir in squash. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and cinnamon; fold into squash mixture. Transfer to prepared pan, spreading evenly. Sprinkle with walnuts.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 13-15 minutes. Cool on a wire rack 10 minutes.
- Invert onto a tea towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a bowl, beat first four filling ingredients until smooth. Unroll cake; spread filling over cake to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up again, without towel; trim ends. Place on a platter; seam side down. Refrigerate, covered, 1 hour. If desired, dust with additional confectioners' sugar before serving. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews forButternut Squash Cake Roll
"This cake tastes exactly like pumpkin roll & a great way to use up some butternut squash!! The entire family enjoyed it!!!"
"So good my friends didn't believe I made it, the wife had to back me up."
"Haven't made this yet, just bought some b.nut squash. Love the pies. For donutk, you put some of the confectioners sugar on the towel when rolling up the cake. Hope this helps."
"Ive been making this recipe at Thanksgiving time for 3 years now and we LOVE it!! It freezes very well so I make them in advance. I like to make 5 or 6 at one time, wrap them in clear cellophane wrap and tie the ends with raffia. I buy fall leaves at the craft store and insert fall leaves in the raffia when you tie a bow. I give a half of roll to a family of 5 of less and give a full cake roll to families over 5 people. they love it!"
"Very moist and delicious. So easy to make. My family requests it often and always want me to make some extra rolls so they can take them home with them! Thanks for the great recipe!!"
"I have made a pumkin roll many times and can't wait to give this a try. My problem is when I unroll the cake after it has cooled, it always cracks into in places. How do you avoid this?"
"I use taste of home recipes a lot when I am cooking in gas camps in northern British Columbia. The butternut squash cake roll was a real hit with the men. I am a true fan of taste magazines they are the only ones I buy now."
"This is a great recipe and very easy to make.Took it to work and it was a big hit. It is definitely a keeper. Plan on making it for myannual Bear Supper."
"Similar to carrot cake"
"This is delicious and I am adding it to my list of very good dessert recipes.For "donutk" the confectioners sugar is only for sprinkling on top just before serving. You can use as much as you like."