Butternut Squash Bisque with Sour Cream Topping
Total TimePrep: 70 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 3-1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/4 cups half-and-half cream
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- Sour cream and additional chives, optional
- In a large bowl, toss the squash, carrots, apple, shallots and oil. Transfer to a large roasting pan.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 1 hour or until browned and tender, stirring twice. Cool slightly. Place in a food processor; cover and process until almost smooth.
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, cook tomatoes over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the pureed vegetables, broth, cream, salt and cayenne; heat through (do not boil). Stir in corn and chives. Garnish servings with sour cream and chives if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 170 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 757mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 6g fiber), 4g protein.
Nov 1, 2014
Creamy with great flavor! Excellent fall meal.
Nov 17, 2012
The carrots and tomatoe seamed to over power the almondy flavor of the butternut squash that I so love and have come to expect from butternut bisque.
Sep 8, 2012
I've made this recipe several times and it does not disappoint! It requires a little more work than some, but IMO, is the quality that would be served in a fine restaurant. I don't make it too often, for fear of getting tired of it. Try it (and NO ALTERATIONS!!!)
Jan 28, 2012
My wife and I have both made this soup several times and made slight variations to the recipe, and have won praise every time
Jan 25, 2012
Excellent taste. I loved it.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.