Butternut Squash and Roasted Pepper Soup
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 40 min.
Makes9 servings (2-1/4 quarts)
- 2 large sweet red peppers
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium butternut squash (3 to 3-1/2 pounds), peeled and cubed
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1-1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Minced fresh cilantro, optional
- Cut peppers in half; remove seeds. Broil peppers 4 in. from the heat until skins blister, about 5 minutes. Immediately place peppers in a small bowl; cover and let stand for 20 minutes. Peel off and discard charred skin. Chop peppers.
- In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, saute onion in oil for 3 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add squash; cook for 3 minutes. Stir in the stock, curry powder, salt, cinnamon, pepper and red peppers. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until squash is tender.
- Cool slightly. In a blender, process 7 cups soup in batches until smooth. Return all to pan and heat through. Garnish with cilantro if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 86 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 467mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 5g fiber), 2g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 21, 2013
It was a bit watery, so I would reduce the amount of stock. I also added more salt and a bit (1-2 Tablespoons) of lemon juice, which really finished it off well.
Jan 16, 2013
Made exactly as written but just didn't work for me.