Butternut Squash and Roasted Pepper Soup
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 40 min.
Makes9 servings (2-1/4 quarts)
- 2 large sweet red peppers
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium butternut squash (3 to 3-1/2 pounds), peeled and cubed
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1-1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Minced fresh cilantro, optional
- Cut peppers in half; remove seeds. Broil peppers 4 in. from the heat until skins blister, about 5 minutes. Immediately place peppers in a small bowl; cover and let stand for 20 minutes. Peel off and discard charred skin. Chop peppers.
- In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, saute onion in oil for 3 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add squash; cook for 3 minutes. Stir in the stock, curry powder, salt, cinnamon, pepper and red peppers. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until squash is tender.
- Cool slightly. In a blender, process 7 cups soup in batches until smooth. Return all to pan and heat through. Garnish with cilantro if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 86 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 467mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 5g fiber), 2g protein.
Jan 21, 2013
It was a bit watery, so I would reduce the amount of stock. I also added more salt and a bit (1-2 Tablespoons) of lemon juice, which really finished it off well.
Jan 16, 2013
Made exactly as written but just didn't work for me.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.