VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 small butternut squash (about 2 pounds), peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (about 5 cups)
- 1 pound fresh baby carrots
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 carton (32 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- Sliced green onions, optional
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute onion, garlic and ginger until tender, 4-5 minutes. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker.
- Add all remaining ingredients except cream and green onions. Cook, covered, on low until vegetables are soft, 7-9 hours.
Puree soup using an immersion blender, or cool slightly and, in batches, puree in a blender and return to slow cooker. Stir in cream; heat through. If desired, top with green onions.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or milk if necessary. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Butternut Squash & Carrot Soup in Simple & Delicious December/January 2018