Butternut Sausage Puff
Any brunch is extra-special when this hearty souffle is included. The thyme and sausage are perfect complements to the delicately sweet butternut squash. —Betty Humiston, Greenwich, New York
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + cooling Bake: 45 min.
- 2 cups hot mashed butternut squash
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound Jones No Sugar Pork Sausage Roll, cooked and drained
- Fresh thyme, optional
- In a bowl, combine squash, egg yolks, flour, parsley, butter, onion, lemon juice, thyme and salt; mix until well blended. Stir in the sausage. Cool for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into squash mixture. Pour into a greased and floured 2-qt. baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Garnish with thyme if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 199 calories, 13g fat (6g saturated fat), 130mg cholesterol, 327mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Butternut Sausage Puff in Taste of Home August/September 1997
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.