- 3 cups cubed peeled butternut squash (about 1/2-inch cubes)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh sage
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- Shaved Parmesan cheese, optional
- Place squash in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Drizzle with oil; sprinkle with salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat broth and keep warm. In a large nonstick skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Add orzo and garlic; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes. Carefully stir in 1 cup warm broth. Cook and stir until all of the liquid is absorbed.
- Add remaining broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly. Allow the liquid to absorb between additions. Cook until risotto is creamy and orzo is almost tender. (Cooking time is about 20 minutes.) Add the herbs, cooked squash and remaining pepper; heat through. Garnish with cheese if desired; serve immediately. Yield: 5 servings.
Reviews forButternut Orzo Risotto
"This is good. You need to watch it and keep stirring. Very good, creamy flavor."
"I made this for dinner last night and we absolutely LOVE IT!"
"Enjoyed this very much. I used about a half-tablespoon of minced garlic from a jar. Be sure to use small pieces of squash. I had some larger pieces about 1" square and their flavor overwhelmed the more delicate flavor of the pasta."
"Garlic is referenced in directions, but not in the ingredients. How much garlic?"
"Delicious. Absolutely delicious. This is the kind of food I dream of finding in a restaurant, and today I found it in my kitchen."
"This was amazing! I used dried seasonings and could have used half the amount. Even still....it was delicious. Will definately make again!"
"This was easy and delicious!!!"
"MAXINE,traditional risotto is made with rice, this is risotto made with orzo pasta which is fantastic. try it, you will love it! jean b."
"You don't use risotto. Just the orzo past. It is excelent!"
"But what amount of risotto? It shows measures for only Orzo pasta."