I love butternut squash, a comfort food with gourmet possibilities. This squash lasagna offers a fresh, updated flavor profile that will rival even the mightiest roasted bird. —Shannon Cornelius, Salt Lake City, Utah
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Cook: 55 min.
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 4 pounds), peeled and cubed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Swiss or Gruyere cheese, divided
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, combine squash, oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, nutmeg and pepper. Transfer to two greased 15x10x1-in. baking pans.
- Roast 30-35 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally; cool slightly. Process in batches in a food processor until pureed. Meanwhile, cook noodles according to package directions; drain.
- Reduce oven setting to 375°. For sauce, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour and remaining salt until smooth; gradually add milk and cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in 1 cup cheese and lemon zest until cheese is melted.
- Spread 1 cup sauce into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with four noodles, half of the squash mixture, 1-1/2 cups spinach and 1-1/2 cups sauce. Repeat layers. Top with remaining noodles and sauce.
- Bake, covered, 45 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, 10-15 minutes longer or until bubbly and cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 406 calories, 24g fat (13g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 336mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 5g fiber), 12g protein.
Originally published as Butternut Squash Lasagna in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2015