Butternut, Kale and Cashew Squares
Butternut squash and kale are two of my favorite fall vegetables. Combined with cashews and feta in a puff pastry, it makes me think this could be a fall version of spanakopita! This could be served for brunch or lunch, or as a dinner entree. You also can make the pieces smaller and serve it as an appetizer. —Arlene Erlbach, Morton Grove, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 4 bacon strips, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 2-1/2 cups peeled butternut squash, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups chopped fresh kale
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon chopped cashews, divided
- 1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 450°. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon. In same skillet, saute shallot until tender. Add squash, 3/4 teaspoon thyme and nutmeg; cook, covered, until squash is almost tender, about 5 minutes. Combine squash mixture with bacon. Add kale, feta cheese and 1/4 cup cashews; mix well.
- Unfold 1 sheet of puff pastry on a parchment-lined baking sheet; roll out into a 10-in. square. Spoon squash mixture evenly over pastry sheet to within 3/4 in. of edges. Whisk egg and water; brush edges of pastry. Unfold remaining pastry sheet; roll out into a 10-in. square. Place on top of squash mixture. Press edges of pastries together with a fork to seal. Brush top with egg mixture.
- Cut slits in top. Bake until pastry is puffed and golden brown, 15-20 minutes, rotating halfway through to ensure even browning. Sprinkle with remaining cashews and thyme. Cool on a wire rack 5 minutes before cutting into squares.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 403 calories, 24g fat (7g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 394mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 6g fiber), 9g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Butternut Kale Cashew Squares in Taste of Home September/October 2017