Butternut Gratin with Parmesan-Sage Topping
Here’s a wonderful side dish for Christmastime. The baked butternut squash and onions get extra flavor from a topping of panko bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and seasonings. —Deirdre Cox, Kansas City, Missouri
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 small butternut squash (about 2-1/2 pounds), peeled and cubed
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1-1/2 cups panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash salt
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large skillet, heat butter and oil over medium-high heat. Add onions; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until lightly browned. Add squash; cook 2 minutes longer. Sprinkle with sugar, salt, pepper and nutmeg; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until squash is lightly browned.
- Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Pour stock over top. Bake, covered, 20-30 minutes or until squash is tender.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, toss bread crumbs with cheese and seasnings. Sprinkle over vegetables. Bake, uncovered, 10-12 minutes longer or until topping is golden brown.
Originally published as Butternut Squash Gratin with Parmesan Sage Breadcrumbs in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.