Butternut Gratin with Parmesan-Sage Topping
Here’s a wonderful side dish for Christmastime. The baked butternut squash and onions get extra flavor from a topping of panko bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and seasonings. —Deirdre Cox, Kansas City, Missouri
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 small butternut squash (about 2-1/2 pounds), peeled and cubed
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1-1/2 cups panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash salt
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large skillet, heat butter and oil over medium-high heat. Add onions; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until lightly browned. Add squash; cook 2 minutes longer. Sprinkle with sugar, salt, pepper and nutmeg; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until squash is lightly browned.
- Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Pour stock over top. Bake, covered, 20-30 minutes or until squash is tender.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, toss bread crumbs with cheese and seasnings. Sprinkle over vegetables. Bake, uncovered, 10-12 minutes longer or until topping is golden brown.
Originally published as Butternut Squash Gratin with Parmesan Sage Breadcrumbs in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2014