We make this treasured family goulash recipe using squash from our own backyard. The chili powder and cayenne really warm you up! —Allison Wilmarth, Forest City, Pennsylvania
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (28 ounces) no-salt-added crushed tomatoes
- 1-1/2 cups peeled butternut squash, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 can (8 ounces) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups chopped zucchini
- Shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- In a Dutch oven, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add beef, red pepper and onion; cook, crumbling beef, until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, 6-8 minutes; drain.
- Add the next eight ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, about 20 minutes; add zucchini. Continue simmering until vegetables are tender, another 20-25 minutes. Just before serving, sprinkle with cheese if desired. Yield: 8 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Butternut Goulash in Taste of Home November 2016, p32
Reviews forButternut Goulash
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 15, 2016
"loved it! great flavor, have made it multiple times now."