- 1 medium butternut squash (about 2 pounds)
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons caramel ice cream topping
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 package (5.1 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 3/4 cup milk plus 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- Whipped cream and toasted flaked coconut
- Cut squash in half; discard seeds. Place squash cut side down in a microwave-safe dish; add hot water. Cover and microwave for 13-15 minutes or until tender. When cool enough to handle, scoop out pulp and mash. Set aside 1-1/2 cups squash (save remaining squash for another use).
- In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Stir in the squash until blended. Add the sugar, caramel topping, cinnamon, salt, ginger and cloves; beat until blended. Add pudding mix and milk; beat on low speed for 2 minutes. Spoon into pastry shell. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours. Garnish with whipped cream and coconut. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forButternut Cream Pie
"Wow. I'm sorry to disagree with the other reviewers, but I found this pie sickeningly sweet. My children wouldn't even eat it. I tried to salvage it...but ended up throwing it out. The taste could be alright if it wasn't overpowered with the sweetness."
"The reaction to this pie when it is served is enough to make anyone's day.I found it slightly difficult mixing the cream cheese together with the butternut squash, so I used my food processor, which worked!A+"
"Wonderful! Smoothe texture, well blended flavor. I lightened with sugar-free pudding, 1% milk, light prepared whipped topping, no-fat caramel topping --everyone asked for seconds."