Buttermilk Spice Crisps
These cookies were a Christmas tradition for one of the families in my childhood church. I looked forward to caroling at their house because we were rewarded with one of these tasty morsels!
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 4-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon each ground allspice, ground cloves and ground nutmeg
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and buttermilk. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, cloves and nutmeg; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Shape into two 9-in. rolls; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 4 hours or until firm.
- Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 151 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 126mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.