Buttermilk Spice Crisps
These cookies were a Christmas tradition for one of the families in my childhood church. I looked forward to caroling at their house because we were rewarded with one of these tasty morsels!
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 4-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon each ground allspice, ground cloves and ground nutmeg
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and buttermilk. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, cloves and nutmeg; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Shape into two 9-in. rolls; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 4 hours or until firm.
- Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 151 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 126mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Buttermilk Spice Crisps in Best of Country Cookies