- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary or 3/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon shortening
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in buttermilk just until moistened (mixture will be dry). Fill greased muffin cups two-thirds full; brush with butter. Bake at 400° for 10-13 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews forButtermilk Rosemary Muffins
"These seem more the texture of biscuits, not muffins, but no matter. They were a fine companion to our corn chowder on a cool spring evening."