My mother's family owned peach orchards in Missouri. I live in Tennessee, a top consumer of buttermilk. This summery ice cream combines my past and present. —Kim Higginbotham, Knoxville, Tennessee
Featured In: The 75 Best Ways to Enjoy Farmer's Market Peaches
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 pounds ripe peaches (about 7 medium), peeled and quartered
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Place peaches in a food processor; process until smooth. Add sugars, lemon juice, vanilla and salt; process until blended.
- In a large bowl, mix buttermilk and cream. Stir in peach mixture. Refrigerate, covered, 1 hour or until cold.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream maker no more than two-thirds full. Freeze according to manufacturer's directions, refrigerating any remaining mixture to process later. Transfer ice cream to freezer containers, allowing headspace for expansion. Freeze 2-4 hours or until firm. Let ice cream stand at room temperature 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 2 quarts.
Originally published as Buttermilk Peach Ice Cream in Taste of Home June/July 2015