Buttermilk Pan Rolls
I've made these rolls for family and at the Eskimo village school where I cook. I've had many compliments, and people always ask me when I'm going to serve them again.—Elaine Kellum, Anaktuvuk Pass, Alaska
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 18 to 23 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup buttermilk blend powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 4-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 7 cups warm water (120° to 130°)
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- In several large bowls, combine 15 cups flour, buttermilk powder, sugar, salt, yeast and baking soda. Add water and oil. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Place in several large greased bowls, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/4 hours.
- Punch dough down. Divide into 80 pieces. Shape each into a ball. Place in two greased 15x10x1-in. baking pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 20-30 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pans to wire racks. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 138 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 201mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Buttermilk Pan Rolls in Taste of Home April/May 2000
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.