My sister-in-law, who is a dietitian, shared this recipe with me. Buttermilk and garlic flavor these smooth mashed potatoes that are better for you than typical versions that include lots of butter. —Stephanie Bremson of Kansas City, Missouri
Recommended: 80 Recipes for Serious Potato Lovers
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, combine the potatoes, water, broth and garlic. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat buttermilk until warm. Drain potatoes and garlic; mash with buttermilk. Stir in the onions, salt and pepper. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes in Light & Tasty December/January 2003, p27
Reviews forButtermilk Mashed Potatoes
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 5, 2013
"easy and amazing! will make again :)"
Reviewed Feb. 17, 2010
"these mashed potatoes are amazing!!! very yummy! i will definitely make these again!"