- 1-1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- Combine the cracker crumbs, sugar and butter; press onto the bottom and up the sides of an ungreased 9-in. pie plate. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until crust is lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- For filling, in a large saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in buttermilk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir for 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir 1 cup of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in butter. Gently stir in lemon juice and peel. Pour hot filling into pastry shell.
- For meringue, in a small mixing bowl, beat the egg whites, vanilla and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Spread over hot filling, sealing edges to crust.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour; refrigerate for 1-2 hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forButtermilk Lemon Meringue Pie
"I prepared this pie and had given it to a neighbor of my Mom's. The adjustments I'd made was stirring the entire hot mixture into egg yolks, stirring constantly. I did pour into baked crust just before topping with the meringue and baked just 15 minutes until golden brown. This recipe is definitely a keeper! Thank you, Ellen Riley! delowenstein"