Buttermilk Coconut Bread
A tropical aroma fills the kitchen whenever I bake this irresistible quick bread. The coconut topping adds a touch of visual flair, and mouthwatering flavor to every bite of this tender loaf. —Cindy Steffen, Cedarburg, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2-1/3 cups sweetened shredded coconut, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1-1/4 cups buttermilk
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and baking soda. Add 2 cups coconut and mix well. Combine the egg, buttermilk, butter and extracts; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Pour into a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Sprinkle with remaining coconut; press lightly into batter. Bake at 350° for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 227 calories, 10g fat (7g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 234mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Coconut Bread in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.